Saturday, April 20, 2013

BCHM Butterfly Garden


Museum 2013
 1

2This had tiny red bushy blooms last year.
 

3

4 This bloomed last year.  The bloom is white with purple center (Hibiscus)

5 Huckleberry or blueberry maybe

6

Butterfly plant_transplanted in Feb. of this year.



7west side 14ft

8North side 5ft

9East side
left section 5ft  middle section 5ft right section 7ft 6in
Pipe is about 5in across

10South side 14 ft

North east side looking South west  the Church is behind me.
These were taken mid morning
 
 
Also from the museum
 
 
One Azaleas still blooming It is an Orange red, the majority in the Trail are pink/fuchsia
 

Black berries

One of the birdhouses built and mounted by Elberta
Cub Scout Pack #70
 

1 comment:

  1. I can't identify the plant that has bushy red blooms. I assume that if it is in the butterfly garden somebody has seen butterflies on it. Butterfly bush is good; I don't grow it because my soil has nematoes and it falls right over.

    One of the big problems for a butterfly garden is keeping a succession of blooms through all of warm weather. Once the azaleas are gone, what will keep nectar for any butterflies coming by? In my garden it's Dianthus, both Cheddar pinks and Sweet Williams, Pentas from cutting that I carried over, and Petunias. Lantana is the biggie right now -- the trailing lavender kind like I saw in one of Julie's photos. That lavender lantana will bloom in shade.

    Purple Coneflower is starting to bloom; butterflies won't touch it after May when funner things are blooming. I saw a Cloudless Sulphur on Rose Campion this morning.

    I still think that garden needs a path, actually two paths. I would put a path wide enough for one person from East to West, splitting the 7' area, and another narrow path from East to West starting in that little corner by the 5' area. That way the whole area can be reached for weeding and planting without stepping in the beds. I am not a fan of stepping stones unless they are continuous, no hopping.

    ReplyDelete